Yesterday I enjoyed reading Susan Deppner’s 10 Things About Me on her blog, Life From the Inside Out. Susan challenged other bloggers to do the same, so here are 10 things about me and some scattered photos:
1. My husband and I recently celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. Our children hosted a party for us and it was pure joy — probably the happiest time of my life — surrounded by family and friends, laughter, tears, joy, music, dancing and good food. I am still grinning about that! Celebrating 50 years of marriage is really fun! See my halo and wings in this picture? My husband toasted me!
2. We are blessed with 2 children – a son and a daughter – both are happy, loving successful adults and oh, we are such proud parents. Of course, we positively dote on our two grandchildren. What a joy they all are! Our family is our top priority and we are thankful every single day for each one.
3. My husband has been legally blind since 1988. His positive attitude and enthusiasm for life is a constant inspiration to all who know him.
4. I never planned to have a career. I just wanted to stay at home with our precious children. However, life presented challenges, and I worked — at more jobs than anybody ever should. I have held all sorts of secretarial jobs, leased apartments, sold real estate, directed 5 counties of March of Dimes, and even sold Mary Kay, jewelry and perfume in home parties for a while. After my husband lost his sight, we became co-workers from home, and have sold telephone long distance service, credit card machines, Better Business Bureau, business forms and printing and check recovery services. And after all that, we are still celebrating 50 years of marriage.
5. My husband and I are writing our personal histories. He recorded his stories years ago, and we had those recordings transcribed. We are still in editing mode. It’s time to complete that important work in 2015! I am enjoying working with Lee Miller, author of The Journey: A Celebration of Life: A Guidebook for Writing Your Life Story. I assist Lee in leading a course at Shepherd’s Center about writing our personal histories. I learn much more than I can teach! (You can click on Lee’s book in the display below this post.)
6. I was the 2nd child of four. There are 3 of us remaining – and I am so thankful for both my sisters. All 3 of us write on line – Can you believe that? We had such fun at the anniversary party. (Update: Sister Betty died on September 1, 2016 – we still miss her terribly. Many of the posts on this blog were written by Betty and I am thankful for each one.)
Friends, Friends, Friends, I Have Some Friends I Love
I enjoy friends on line and friends in person! I have met some of my online friends and that is a special joy indeed.
Whitey and I were both deeply touched by the presence of so many of our life long friends at our celebration. How does anybody survive without friends?
7. We enjoy music from the 50s and 60s and have fun dancing. For years we took line dance lessons and had fun learning over 200 different dances. We can’t remember them all now, but we have fun trying. After 50 years of marriage, we manage to follow each other pretty well.
8. We have only one dog these days, an old poodle. He is diabetic, deaf and blind. Our house is a doggie nursing home.
Update: Our poodle died in March 2015.
9. I always have at least one courtroom drama or mystery on my Kindle Paperwhite, and some form of spiritual study or self improvement.
10. At this point in my life, I find myself living in Thanksgiving – life is such a journey. We have enjoyed happy times and suffered through difficult times, but overall, the happy times have outweighed the difficult days, and there is much to celebrate. For 2015, I will again embark on a Simple Abundance adventure.
These are a few of my favorite things:
The latest addition to our family is the Amazon Echo. You can read our own review of the Echo and how we enjoy this new electronic device.